Russia Survival Guide BLOG
Russian customs and superstiotions
Superstitions plays huge role in daily life of Russian people. Everybody - from serious businessmen to little children follow them. Sometimes Russian people behave weird from foreigners’ point of view. In order not to behave incorrect communicating with locals you need to know some the most popular superstitions. Please, don’t try to analyze and understand them, just remember.
Birthday cannot be celebrated only on or after actual birthday, never before.
- Never look at broken mirror. If you break mirror, you will have 7 year of bad luck
- On examination day, never wear anything new – it will bring bad luck
- If somebody accidentally stepped on your foot, it is common for the person who was stepped on to lightly step on the foot of the person who stepped first. It is said that they thus avoid a future conflict.
- It is bed luck to talk about future success. It is considered better to be silent until the success has been achieved or to even sound pessimistic.
- Returning home for forgotten things is a bad luck. If you have to return, look to the mirrow and smile. Otherwise the journey will be bad.
- In Russian never give sharp objects, like knives or scissors, as gifts.
- Unmarried people should never sit at the corner of the table. Otherwise they will not marry.
- A woman with empty water buckets coming towards you is considered a bad luck.
- Two or more people should never use one towel at the same time to dry their hands or bodies, or it is said to bring conflict.
- It's good luck to trip on your left foot, and bed luck to trip on right foot.
- You should not shake hands or give something through a threshold.
- Never whistle in a house – you will have no money
- If you feel ears or cheeks are hot, someone is thinking or talking about you (usually speaking ill).
- If your nose itches, you'll be drinking soon.
- If your right hand itches, you're going to meet somebody soon. If your left hand itches, you will get money.
- If you have the hiccups, someone is remembering you at this moment.
- If a fork or spoon falls on the ground, expect a female guest. If a knife falls, expect a male guest.
- If someone is not recognized when seen or heard, he or she will be rich. So if someone calls you on the phone and you don't recognize them you can cheer them up by telling them they'll be rich.
- If someone was talking about you before you entered the room, then you will live a long and rich life.
- If you spill salt, it's bad luck and is said to bring conflict, but no one will throw salt over their left shoulder.
- If someone sneezes while telling something, it means he or she is telling the truth.
- If bird defecate on you or your property (commonly cars), it's good luck, and may bring you riches.
- If you find a pay leaf in your soup while eating, it means you'll get mail from someone.
- If you wear clothes (such as an undershirt) inside out, you will get beaten.
- Accidentally breaking a glass is considered good luck.
- If you have ringing in one of your ears, ask someone which ear is ringing. If they guessed right, you should both make a wish.
Tsar Events DMC & PCO has become first DMC who wrote book-instruction for tourists and professional travel planners who are going to Russia!
New book offers a mesmerizing slice of life in Russia. Alexander Rodionov & Maya Krivchenia shares an informative and enjoyable guide to enjoying the historical and cultural wealth of the world’s largest country.